Connected manufacturing systems, collaborative robotics, Industry 4.0, Virtual Reality applications, digital twins… Is your company prepared to take advantage of the potential for the next era of connectivity? Experts are clear: using an MPN architecture is vital since it is destined to impact many fields with great potential for digitalization.
In fact, according to various studies, the main factor that leads companies to adopt an MPN architecture -or 5G private networks- is security since 69% of those surveyed state that current connectivity and communications platforms do not cover network security. But what are the essentials to build a successful MPN architecture?
Six qualities of a successful MPN architecture
MPNs allow companies to interconnect their business processes, the people, and the elements that are present in their headquarters, but to do so, they must have the following:
- Terminal/Modem… and Devices: Under a connection made through modems that integrate programmed SIM cards, the most common devices connected by MPN are IoT devices, voice and video terminals, surveillance cameras, guided vehicles, drones, or Augmented Reality devices.
- RAN (Radio Access Network): The base station operates in one or more frequency bands to connect with the client terminal within the coverage area. Here, the technology used can be 4G or 5G, depending on the different deployments and environments for the solution.
- Network Core: The area where connections are established and authenticated, and data is routed to Applications (in MEC or Local Break Out). Its main functions are the management of registration, connection, mobility, authentication, and access authorization or compliance with service-level parameters. The core can be located at the operator’s or the client’s facilities or divided between both.
- SafeBox: Security area for physical and non-physical protection, capital for sensitive applications, and treatment of critical processes.
- Edge Computing: Thanks to Edge Computing, processing, and decision-making functions are brought closer to the network’s edge (unlike cloud solutions).
- Integrated Management System: Set of tools for the automation and management of the private network with simple graphical interfaces to manage users, terminals, and sessions, with their possible failures; monitor the status of the RAN; or monitor Red Core functions.
MPN architecture: Key in manufacturing
It seems reasonable to affirm that MPNs will change the manufacturing world, especially regarding the safety, efficiency, and privacy of risk operations and critical processes. So much so that more and more analysts predict that one of the logical consequences of this technology will even be the return to Europe of specific industries hitherto relocated, such as agriculture.
According to the conclusions of a report prepared by Economist Impact and published in collaboration with NTT, around 24% of organizations are already testing private 5G, and more than half have plans to deploy a private 5G network within a period between 6 and 24 months.
Also Read: What Comes After Smartphones?